Monday 11 July 2016

The Farmer's Wife QAL blocks 83 and 84, Poppy and Posy

Welcome back to two more blocks in the Farmer's Wife quilt-along.  I keep feeling that the end is in sight and I've nearly finished and then a block like 83, Poppy (p.242, letter p.122) gives me a reality check, kicks my sewing butt and reminds me how long a single block can take to complete- about 4 hours in this case!  Sarah Edgar is guest blogging on this block, read about her experience here.


Fabric Credits
Gracie's School House Classics Dotty Blue Blossoms (Judie Rothermel for Marcus Brothers)
Moda solids Betty's Green
Pink bubble repro print
Unknown repro feedback print (for the fussy cut kettle)

Block 84, Posy (p.243, letter 115) is another block featuring Y seams which take hours to sew- I hope I'm selling it to you; both these blocks take time but they are rather impressive once finished.  The rest of the block is straightforwards if a little fiddly but the little triangle background pieces  are all inset and need a Y seam.   I've done a few Y seam posts now so I recommend you check this detailed tutorial out here.


Fabric Credits
Kona Corn
Robert Kaufmann Morningside Farm, Daisies Lake, Darlene Zimmerman
Unknown blue grid floral

{For both blocks, I link to sponsor shops for fabric bought from them and elsewhere for other fabrics}


Rotary Cutting 
These are for foundation piecing so are cut larger than needed with any exceptions noted below.
  • Small half-square triangles: cut 4 (1 ¾") squares; sub-cut each square in half along the diagonal to yield 8 HSTs
  • Centre square: Cut (1) 1 ⅜" square
  • I1, I3,R1, S1: cut (4) 1 ⅜" x 3 ½"rectangles
For all other shapes, I used the freezer paper template method

Top Tips for Foundation Piecing this Block
  • Pre cut all pieces
  • Use a water based glue stick e.g. Sewline, to stick the first piece of fabric on each section
  • Chain piece where possible
  • Follow the Y seam method here, including marking where the Y seam intersections are

Here are some more nine-patch blocks to add to my collection, 15 in total so far.


  • You can share your farmer's wife quilt blocks with the hashtags #fw1930sqal and for these blocks either #Poppyblock or #Posyblock as well as #fw83Poppy, #fw84Posy
  • If you want me to take a look at your blocks, tag me on Instagram, I'm @verykerryberry or comment here and paste in a link to your blog
  • There's a Flickr group you can add to here.  All my Farmer's Wife 1930s blocks can be seen in this album and my 9-patch blocks in this album. 
Jo Green returns as a guest blogger next Monday!  I'm hoping she has a layout plan that we can see with her blocks.  See you next week x 
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.