Wednesday 9 April 2014

April at Seamstar

Courtney has so many new fabrics, prints and patterns in this month at Seamstar I hardly know where to start, but the 10% discount she is giving this week on purchases of Leah Duncan's Meadow for Art Gallery fabrics does rather draw my eye- you have until 11th April (I think) to get your discount!

If you haven't seen or felt Art Gallery cottons before they are a little different to the usual quilting cottons; finer, silkier and suitable for dressmaking as well as quilting.  I have made a couple of dresses from them and they are soft and a pleasure to wear.

Another new set of fabrics are Robert Kaufman lightweight denims.  These are dressmaking weight, ideal for children and adult clothes and incredibly wearable colours.  Think chambray or poplin weight rather than jeans denim: suitable for dresses, shirts, trousers and also quilting and craft- bags, cushions,purses etc.  They are also wide width, so you do get good value especially for circle skirts and patterns which are best done with 55" rather than 44" fabric.  I like to use these for clothing and then I use the off cuts when I quilt.
It is helpful to read more about the denim and see their samples close up on the Robert Kaufman website.  This is the Railroad link, this is the Indigo chambray link and you can see clothing examples too.  I simply cannot have enough of these fabrics in my life!
Easter is nearly upon us, there are lots of bunny craft activities around - (see this beauty from Karen at Listen to the bird's Sing, and Courtney has used this theme for a very cute bunny kit for this month's Craft Club.

As well as the denims and Art Gallery fabrics, Courtney has started stocking Moda precuts this month.  There are Jelly Rolls- I like Jelly Rolls and Layer cakes when it comes to Precuts as they both contain a lot of fabric.  My favourite jelly roll is Bluebird Park- love the colours in this collection and the balance of patterns and cuteness:

And at the moment the layer cake on offer is Wren and Friends- lots of bright, small scale modern patterns.

For the dressmakers out there, there are Joel Dewberry patterns like this Vintage Flutter Dress 
which would be wonderful in either Meadow or the light denims and Courtney has other suggestions and supplies here.  Some sewing experience needed for this dress but it is relatively simple. 

And finally, perfect for Spring, the Michael Miller Birds of a Feather collection is lovely.  I think my preference is for the tessellating Birds print- it really is a good one.

I love what Courney is doing with Seamstar at the moment, the selection has really opened up, both for quilting and dressmaking and she has made great choices.  Offering all this and kits and projects is a lot of work and it really shows on the website,  Well done Courtney! 

sib blog

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great place. Love the meadow line. I also really enjoy the feel of the art gallery fabrics and thought they'd make good apparel fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.