Tuesday 22 June 2010

Holiday Reading

On my recent weekend away I took a new quilting book with me for a bit of light holiday reading and inspiration.


It is a beautiful book, the hardcover is printed and slightly textured and the photography inside is a joy.  Who'd have thought a dodgy bit of wall plaster and an old metal bed could look so appealing?

\\

I didn't buy this for the patterns- they are very basic and I tend not to follow quilt patterns directly, a lot of the fabrics are not quite my taste- a lot of very big vivid florals- but the writing is wonderful.  Each quilt has it's own story-design, fabric, materials and direction.  She describes the inspiration, how the fabrics were chosen including details of the actual fabrics used -  I can't believe how many quilting books don't credit the fabric- as well as resources, suppliers etc.  At the back there is a quilt gallery with a clear pic of each quilt often including more than one colourway option  


The writing flows, Jane Brocket has an intimate style.  It reminded me of Nigel Slater, his recipe books are often a chance to read his great writing and musings, not just cook up a stew.


I love this picture- I  fancy the idea of text on the wall, maybe not hymn sheets like this though...It has a different cover in different parts of the world- looks a bit more sedate.  Recommend it for inspiration.


2 comments:

  1. I like the look of this book, thanks for sharing, I will add it my list.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book! I hope you were inspired :)

    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.