Friday 11 November 2016

Simple Sampler QAL- Triangles and a bonus extra

For those of you following the #simplesamplerqal,  using my tutorials on Sewing Directory, these are the three most recent blocks.   Hourglass which uses half-square triangles to make quarter square triangles- a bit of trimming involved but not real waste:


Flying Geese block.  The method for the is a traditional technique which is straightforward but it is a little wasteful.  It's one of those methods that it's good to know as it helps beginners understand how the geese shape is formed but there are alternatives once you've mastered this. There is also a bonus to this method (see below).


When you come to stitch the diagonal seam line, if you pencil in a second line half an inch away from the previous seam and sew a second seam  on the part of the square which will be trimmed off, you will end up with some extra, smaller half-square triangles that could be used on another project!  Once the second line is sewn, cut between the two lines.  To make each of the eight geese needed for this block, you could generate two half-square triangles so a bonus of sixteen at the end, maybe to use to make a pot holder or mug rug?


The Sawtooth Star uses geese made with a no-waste method.  This works well for solids or non directional prints and there's no waste and minimal trimming, one of my favourite methods- it's fast too.


I'm enjoying making these blocks for a second time!

1 comment:

  1. I did receive an email asking about which fabrics I used for the Simple Sampler, just in case you wanted to know, here's the info. The fabrics that I used for the original Sewing Directory quilt along were all Recollection by Katarina Roccella for Art Gallery. This range is over a year old now but you may find some fabric shops stock if or bundles on eBay. For the second round of blocks that I am making and showing in the most recent blocks, I am using my scrap bag so there are a lot of old out of print fabrics. The Sawtooth star centre is from the Berlin Kollektion by Yuwa- you can sometimes find some of this range on Etsy. I don’t list the fabrics as I don’t know what all of them are and so many would be hard to get hold of now! Such is the nature of a scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.