Monday 16 March 2015

Block Appreciation

Another successful meet up on Saturday for Southwest Stitchers, the informal local sewing group that meets up every 4 months or so.  We hire a large, warm, well lit space with a kettle and tea cups so a bunch of stitchers can talk fabric, patterns, clothing is so great and the more we do it the more it is like meeting up with old friends.  Helen and I got out our blocks and compared quilts-to-be:


I am four blocks off the total for my Bring Me Flowers quilt.  This was the block of the month and I mixed in a few of my own too.  Mostly hand sewn although I'll join the blocks on the machine.  I've enjoyed it so much, part of me doesn't want it to end- although I am pretty keen to see it in quilt form.


These are Helen's from her Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt.   Again, her's is mainly hand pieced and many of these blocks were made as a travelling projects whilst Helen is on the road in her camper van.  A beautiful range of colours, lots of fabrics from friends and a clever use of cheater prints which are perfect for projects like this where more is more.  Like me, Helen is a fan of the intricate and also slow sewing.  These Jen Kingwell quilt designs are perfect if that is your preference.  You are only ever working on one block at a time- no need to cut fabric far in advance.  Perfect for a long term project on the go.


Whilst I was at the meet up, this arrived,  Jen Kingwell's book, Quilt Lovely.  I collected it from the sorting office yesterday and every spare moment has been spent reading and planning.  It was sent from USA as I am reviewing this book in a couple of weeks time and it isn't due to arrive in the UK until late April, but I am sure you won't mind me saying that is you plan on ordering Quilt Lovely, it won't disappoint.  It mixes hand sewn projects with machine sewn, long term slow sewing with some quicker quilts and pillows.  I already have my project planned for a life post Bring Me Flowers.

sib blog

4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely colourful post. I love the idea of your little meet and hiring the hall. Sounds like fun. I adore these quilts. I'm a huge fan of Jen's. Hand piecing is one of my favourite things to do. (I'm very lucky to have Jen's shop Amitie as my LQS). Such inspiring work and agree the book is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Bring Me Flowers blocks are adorable -- I can see why you have mixed feelings about bringing this project to a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like getting together with friends to sew and talk ~ I'm always inspired by my friends and what they are working on! I've done 2 retreats in the last 4 weeks and have got lots done!
    Beautiful blocks from you and your friend ~ I love all the colors and designs!
    I've had my eye on Quilt Lovely and may have to order it from Amazon ~ all those designs are so appealing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sewing meet ups sound wonderful and the two 'almost a quilt top' projects are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.