Wednesday 10 December 2014

December at Village Haberdashery

On the second of my monthly sponsor visit posts, timed so you can order before Christmas, I'm off to Village Haberdashery.  I suspect my visit is very well timed as Annie loaded a stack of new fabrics to the website yesterday, including these beautiful silks:  Hot Pink Ponies, and Pink and Navy Stripes.


I haven't a huge experience sewing with silk- I have done a little and I know you need a very fine needle- I think I used 70 Microtex which is extra pointy, and supersharp pins.  You could go wild and sew a slip, there's a slip pattern included as part of April Rhodes date night dress which Winnie made beautifully here.  Or, you could buy a small amount- a metre, and make a Simple Scarf.  I am tempted to by a little and use it on dress facings for a bit of inner luxury!  There's an amazing solid fuchsia pink available too.

Next up, Honor Roll by Anna Maria Horner.  Inspired by a vintage handkerchief collection and an eclectic mix of geometrics, modern prints and feedsack style florals, Annie has stocked a selection from the range:


This is my favourite, Hand Picked in Ecru, no surprises there.  I like the way the print runs both ways vertically- this is always a bonus as it makes fabric usage more economical, especially when dressmaking.

For the confident dressmaker, new in, some sparkly grey and metallic wool boucle- that's boucle not Bublé.


If you are not familiar with Bublé boucle, it is a slubby, nubbly fabric with soft loopy curls that form part of the weave.  This version is a woven and boucle is classically used with a lining in coats, jackets and tailored dresses/skirts/trousers.  Annie has more boucle here including an amazing neon orange.  

There's always some pretty kits at Village Haberdashery at Christmas time- great to gift, to make and give the result as a gift or to have gifted to you!  I made the Not a Homebody scarf a few months back and it is much worn on chilly days:


The Party Bunting Kit with all the fabric and supplies to make three metres of bunting will bring you almost instant decor with a touch of glam and the free instructions are here.


The ten year old Kerry would have loved to receive this charming Buttonbag Sew a Cottage kit.   The cottage opens to make a storage box-very cute!


Wanting a straightforward snuggly everyday make?  You may be tempted by the Grainline Linden Sweatshirt pattern


You can find sweatshirt and ribbing here.
If you prefer a more dressy but equally easy to wear lounge style, Christine Hayne's new Marianne knit dress pattern is in stock with some cool little details like buttoned cuffs and a peter pan collar.  Find stripy and plain stable interlock knits (which are a dream to work with) here.


Let's finish with something a little Christmassy.  'Light a Candle' canvas by Rashida Coleman Hale.  I just love this print, I can't believe I haven't bought it yet.  I don't think I want to make anything with it, just stretch it over a canvas and enjoy it as a beautiful thing.


sib blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.