Wednesday 16 July 2014

July at Village Haberdashery

This summer has been a boon for fantastic new fabric ranges- they are arriving thick and fast at Village Haberdashery so it's time for a visit and some of you might be wanting to take advantage of Annie's discount all day sale this Friday 18th July in the shop and a late night Friday opening too
First off, the very exciting re-release of Heather Ross's Far Far Away but this time printed on quilting cotton rather than double gauze.  This was one of my first modern fabric obsessions.  I tracked the double gauze prints I wanted down at Purl Soho and when they arrived I made a shirred summer dress that I still wear. 


I think there are new colour combinations here as well as a revisit of the old ones.  I especially like the Frog Prince in Pink (top left in the pic above).  There is a lovely photo from Windham showing the prints in action:


This fabric range is one of my favourite prints featuring purple.  It's more of a violet than purple and mixed with orange, gold and pink for great contrast <3.

I have been stocking up with knit fabrics as I now come autumn I will need lots of long sleeve tops- the staple of my cooler weather wardrobe, and Anna Maria Horner jersey fabrics have just arrived.  They cover a number of her recent collections so there is a mix of colours and prints and they are the usual wider jersey width at 60".


The most wearable colours for me are the Thistle in Midnight





Blues and lilacs are easy colours for me to wear but obviously this is down to skin tone, eye colour, hair etc so it will be different for each us!

Also new in are Papercut Patterns.  This is a New Zealand company.  The patterns have a slightly different presentation style; everything is printed on to thick brown paper and the whole thing- pattern pieces and instructions-open out. The contents of the pattern packet can hang on the outer cardboard hanger- see here for more pics and details, it really is a lovely presentation idea.  Whilst I am taken with their range of styles and the slouchy lounge clothing like the Ohh La La leggings  and the Coppelia (I have just got this in to make), I am not so taken with their cover photos.  They are very young and extremely slender.  I guess as a brand they are more fashion orientated and maybe aimed at a younger sewing consumer than me.  


There is a very keenly priced day course to make the Coppelia at Village Haberdashery with Rachel, House of Pinheiro.  The cost includes the pattern, you need to provide your own fabric/thread.   Another Papercut pattern that appeals to me is the Bellatrix jacket is a neat shape and it is lined too so I would imagine there is lots to learn about in this pattern, and I have seen great online versions of this.


The first of the Art Gallery limited edition fabrics is in- Arizona by April Rhodes, heavily promoted on social media but even after seeing a zillion pics and makes, it is still looking good and is a range of strong appealing designs in great colours.  Very wearable too as there is a good variety of print sizes.  There are cotton/spandex knits:


I have sewn with the Art Gallery knit as I was lucky enough to receive some from Sara of Sewsweetness- her Jungle Avenue range should be in any time.  It is easy to cut and sew, has good retention and spring back because of the spandex (elastane) and is a t shirt sort of weight.  Great for tops, dresses, leggings. 

There are quilting cottons (also good for dressmaking as Art Gallery cottons are light, densely woven and have great handle).


And voile for silky lightweight fabric with a beautiful cotton lawn-like texture.  I've worked with Art Gallery voile for PJ pants and a Kimono shorty robe and it is beautiful stuff- wide too at 52" (similar to Libery lawn width.

I don't usually feature yarn- I can knit but RSI returns fast when I do.  I truly miss knitting.  I knitted a lot when Lula was a baby, for her and myself.   When I did knit, I liked a quality yarn- Rowan, Debbie Bliss, that sort of thing.  The yarn industry, including indie designers and dyers, has blossomed since then and Tosh DK from Madelinetosh is a luxurious super wash merino wool and a firm favourite of many knitters.  It comes in amazing colours, is hand dyed and part of a mini industry in Texas- dyed, packaged etc using low impact materials and traditional methods.  The colours range from the subtle but deep dark Baltic:


The pastel gorgeousness of the wonderfully named, Molly Ringwold


 to the super bright, Edison Bulb.


Each skein is long at 225 yards so whilst it's not cheap, you are getting a generous amount.  There are loads of other shades too

I hope that was a bit of something for everyone; knitter/crocheter/dressmaker/quilter!  Enjoy x


sib blog

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting post, love the wool colours. And the materials are gorg xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those AMH knits are so beautiful, but sadly out of my price range, at £24 a metre. I love the look of the Coppelia. I wore a lot of those ballet style wrap tops in the late 80s/early 90s. I recently bought the Cake pattern in that style, but I'll be having a go at one of the patterns from Meg's Craftsy class first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.